Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Leftovers

I used to be a strict follower of recipes and their lists of ingredients. If I didn’t have one little item I passed it over. Then I discovered the art of substitution, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, but since I’m the only person in our house that semi likes to cook, no one complains.

However in the nature of fairness, honesty, and perhaps a better recipe option, here’s the real recipe that inspired my version.

Here’s how I made it.

Christmas Leftover Casserole
Leftover turkey
Leftover Gravy
Leftover Stuffing or Dressing
Leftover Potatoes
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat over to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

Put leftover turkey in baking dish. Cover with leftover gravy (thinned out a little – add a little chicken broth). Top with leftover dressing. Spread leftover mashed potatoes over dressing. Top with cheese.

Bake in over until heated through. Uncover and cook a few minutes longer.

(I may have even tossed in leftover peas and carrots with the turkey.)

The following recipe comes from my Aunt Alma. It’s one of my family’s favorites. It is, however, one of those recipes that was not copied down from an authentic recipe book but given verbally by an awesome cook.

Creamed Chicken (or Creamed Leftover Turkey, which doesn’t sound as good)

2 cups cooked chicken (or leftover turkey)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
½ cup of sour cream
½ cup Milk (or maybe ¼ cup) You get to decide on the consistency.
Dash of Pepper
A Few Peas (we use frozen and about a hand full)
1 ¼ cups of grated Cheddar cheese
Half your favorite biscuit recipe (we use Bisquick)

Heat to boil (on stove) soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, and some frozen peas. Put in a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, heat in oven until bubbles. Cover with ½ recipe of your favorite biscuit rolled thin in squares. Bake about 20 minutes at 350 F.

The secret ingredient in both recipes is the cheese. Cheese makes anything taste good.

Don’t forget to leave a comment and enter yourself in our contest for a gift basket to celebrate our first anniversary. Please leave your email address with the words ‘at’ and ‘dot’ for safety sake.

10 comments:

Janet said...

Ooh, the first one is like KFC Chicken Bowls, which I love. I'm definitely trying that one out (modified to fry the stuffing first to give it some crunch - we love fried stuffing).

And the second one sounds great, too. Is that 1/2c milk - just going by the ingredients you listed in the directions? I adore creamed chicken on toast, but this with the biscuits would be fabulous.

You're absolutely right about cheese. A serious weakness in this house.

Happy New Year, Karyn!

Karyn Good said...

OOPS, my bad. Yes, milk and I've gone in and corrected it!

I've never tried fried stuffing! But now I have to because that's an absolutely perfect idea! Because frying things up works along the same lines as adding cheese.

Happy New Year!

I also need to try one of those KFC Chicken Bowls!

P.L. Parker said...

Sounds yummy. Living in a male household except for my dog, leftovers don't usually live in my refrigerator. One day, tho . . .

Silver James said...

Call me old fashioned. I'm happy with plain ol' turkey and cheese sandwiches. And yes, cheese makes the world go round! Yum!

(ANd I've caught up! w00t! Go me!)

silverjames AT swbell DOT net

Jana Richards said...

Hi Karyn,
What a great idea. Just take all the leftovers and throw them in a dish, top them cheese, and magic! Silver's right. Cheese makes the world go 'round.

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Jana

Kammie said...

I was raised on my mother's concoctions as she would call them. lol She often took a recipe and substituted ingredients to fit what was available. Her creations, as I call them, were always good. Thanks for sharing. kammie2u at ameritech dot net

Karyn Good said...

Hey R.L. That's not such a bad dilemna. Then you never have to figure out what to do with the leftovers!

Karyn Good said...

Hi, Silver. I love turkey sandwiches, too. Now if I only had some leftover turykey...

Maybe one day my family will trust my cooking enough to let me host Christmas dinner.

Glad to hear you're all caught up!

Karyn Good said...

Thanks, Jana. I thought, hey, that's kinda like shephard's pie. It tasted surprisingly good!

Hope you finished off your renovations and had a great Christmas as well!

Karyn Good said...

Hi, Kammie. I love it when concoctions work out. Although I have to admit I've created my share of flops!