Thursday, December 31, 2009

Eggnog Bread and Mashed Potato Candy


Last year we tried a different brand of eggnog. Somehow it ended up at the back of the fridge and not discovered until the middle of January. The eggnog was still good and the date hadn’t expired yet but we didn’t want to drink it. This recipe came in handy not only for the leftover eggnog, but for some glazed fruit left from the fruitcake recipe.

Eggnog Bread

1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup hard margarine or butter, melted
1 ½ cups commercial eggnog any brand

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup glazed mixed fruit

Beat sugar and egg together in a large bowl. Add margarine, then eggnog. Mix well.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg over eggnog mixture. Stir just to moisten.
Mix in nuts and fruit.
Turn into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degree for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next recipe is fun! You won't believe it's really made from mashed potatoes. Granted, it doesn't use much, but with the coconut macaroon base and thick chocolate topping, it tastes like a candy bar.


Mashed Potato Candy

1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 tbsp hard margarine or butter, softened

1 tsp vanilla
1/4 salt

3 cups icing (confectioner’s) sugar
2 ½ cups medium unsweetened coconut

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp hard margarine or butter

Stir potatoes, first margarine portion, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
Mix in icing sugar and coconut.
Press firmly in a greased 8x8x2 inch pan. (May also be lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy removal before cutting especially if your pan has a non-stick coating.)
Melt chocolate chips and 2nd portion of margarine in medium saucepan on low, stirring often. Spread on top of squares.
Chill for 1 hour. Cut into 50 squares. (Removes from pan easily for cutting if parchment paper used.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to leave a comment with your email address for a chance to win a fabulous gift basket in the Prairie Chicks Anniversary Contest. Comment every day for an even better chance to win, but don’t forget to use ‘dot’ and ‘at’ in your e-mail address to fool those E-mail spammers.

Happy New Year and if you'll be out celebrating tonight, please drive carefully. Those roads are slippery this time of year.

12 comments:

DebH said...

cool recipes Anita. since hubby and i don't drink eggnog and avoid glazed fruits, i doubt i'll need the Eggnog Bread recipe - but it's nice to know it's out there.

i just might have to try the mashed potato candy recipe though. if only for the look on DH's face when i tell him what's in the candy.

Many blessings to you for the coming New Year! nm8r67 at hotmail dot com

Janet said...

Where were you a week ago, Anita, when I was looking for a recipe to use up some eggnog? Well, now I have this one and I've bookmarked it. I ended up finding an eggnog pound cake recipe, but it was very, very rich! I'll try yours next Christmas. Thanks.

All the best to you and your family for a safe and Happy New Year :)

Silver James said...

Janet? Eggnogtinis. Just sayin'!

Anita, I've had mashed potato candy. It was interesting. However, I do think I'm going to have to try the eggnog bread. It sounds yummy enough to add to my sweet bread collection for the Christmas treat trays I do for friends and Lawyer Guy's colleagues. I just happen to have a little eggnog left over...hrm....baking tomorrow, I think!

Oh, and lest I forget: silverjames at swbell dot net

Lu said...

The eggnog bread sounds just like my cup of tea. I'll definitely be trying that one.

Here in Maine, the mashed potato candy is called Needhams. You can buy them in stores. I was given some homemade Needhams a little while ago, loved them, and looked up the recipe. Needless to say I was flabbergasted that they contained mashed potatoes. I think the potatoes is what makes them creamy. They are delicious.

I wish everyone a healthy and Happy New Year!!

lulunau at myfairpoint dot net

Anita Mae Draper said...

Deb - So, I guess I shouldn't send you a fruitcake next year, eh? Heh.

Janet - Why on earth were you looking for eggnog recipes a week ago? It was still Christmas, then. You know, I almost posted an eggnog pound cake recipe but I have much better luck with the quick breads than the cakes.

Silver - the Scouts sell out of Mashed Potato Candy at the provincial exhibition every year. It's one of their big fundraisers. I don't know which recipe they use but I always stand in line for it. Unfortunately I haven't gone in 2 yrs now and with my bad memory, I can't remember exactly what their's looks like but it sure is good. I've seen some recipes that use 3/4 cup or more of the potato and less coconut so that would affect it, I'm sure.

Lu - Needhams, you say? Excellent! I love when I have proper names.

Thank you everyone for making a stop here on this last day of 2009. I appreciate your comments and wish you all the best in 2010.

Karyn Good said...

Here I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm for potatoes and you've done gone and put them in something and called it candy!

Happy New Year wishes!

Jana Richards said...

Hi Anita,
I'm loving that Eggnog Bread Recipe. It looks fairly simple, which is a big deal for me. I don't do complicated recipes anymore. And I do so love eggnog!

I'm not sure about the mashed potatoe candies, but I'll take your word that they're yummy. My luck, I'd probably love them!

Happy New Years everyone!
Jana

Anita Mae Draper said...

Karyn - Curb your enthusiasm for potatoes? Poor you! I even like 'em raw. :)

Jana - Me too! That's why I like the quick breads - quick, easy and good.

Talk to you all next year. Heh

Kammie said...

I like the Mashed Potato Candy recipe. I have been eating a lot of mashed potatoes the past two days because I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled this week. ouch! Not sure I could handle this candy now, but maybe in a week or two when I feel better.

I have to admit that being "under the weather" is more enjoyable when I have blogs like this to visit. It takes my mind off the fact that I feel like someone punched me a 100 times in the face. lol Kammie here wishing for fast healing. kammie2u at ameritech dot net

Debra E Marvin said...

That does it. Anita, you are more amazing than ever. I had egg nog at a friend's house but refused to buy it for myself. (I would probably get egg nog ice cream if I could find a small container of it. But this recipe sounds amazing. (so rich and caloric--I really tried to cut back this season)

There is never left over mashed potatoes around here. Like you, I even eat them raw. Seems a shame to put sugar in anything so good as mashed taters. Like Deb H says, it's worth it just to be able to tell someone what's in the candy.

Happy new year!!!

Anita Mae Draper said...

Kammie - I sure hope your teeth are doing better now - oh wait - I guess it's too late for your teeth. Let me re-phrase that - I sure hope your gums are doing better now and on the way to complete healing. :)

I'm very glad you enjoyed reading out blog and hope you come back and visit often.

Anita Mae Draper said...

Deb - I'm sure we had eggnog ice cream one year as a treat. Thick and yellowy. Hmmm.

I guess the thing I like best about the Mashed Potato Candy is the coconut. I'll pick a coconut chocolate bar (or candy bar as you say south of the border) any day over any other flavor and that's what these taste like - to me anyway.

Thanks for dropping in. :)