Monday, December 28, 2009

Leftover Recipes for Turkey and Cranberries






I make this recipe anytime I have leftover turkey and my family and I think it's yummy. Enjoy!



Baked Curried Turkey and Rice

1 cup (250 ml) long grain rice, raw
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup (75 ml) butter or margarine
2 tbsp. (25 ml) curry powder
3 cups (750 ml) cooked turkey, diced
2 1/2 cups (625 ml) turkey or chicken broth
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)

Saute rice and onion in melted butter, stirring often until rice turns pale yellow. Blend in curry powder and saute for two minutes longer. Stir in turkey, broth and salt. Spoon mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until liquid is aborbed and rice is fluffy. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Serves four.

Notes: If you like garlic you can add a minced clove or two when sauteing the onion and rice. One can of chicken broth and a can of water is equal to about 2 1/2 cups (625 ml). I find that this usually needs a little more than 25 minutes to completely cook the rice.









This second recipe is a pretty cranberry red and very festive looking. And it uses up the leftover cranberry sauce you don't know what to do with!


Christmas Salad

1 pkg. raspberry jello dissolved in 1 cup hot water. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Allow to thicken a bit.

Fold in one mandarin orange cut in pieces, 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (I like tidbits because they're smaller), 2 cups cranberry sauce, and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional).

Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Chill until firm.

Enjoy your Christmas dinner and the leftovers. Don't forget to enter our contest by commenting and leaving us your email address (use at and dot in your email).We Chicks are celebrating our first anniversary by giving a basket of prizes to one lucky commenter. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
From Jana and Lou (guarding her Christmas presents)

6 comments:

Janet said...

Yummy curry recipe, Jana - I'll definitely try that one! The cranberry not so much - I'm not a jellied salad fan. Leftover cranberry sauce usually gets mixed with the mayo and slathered on bread with cold turkey for a yummy sandwich the next day.

Thanks for sharing - hope your Christmas was wonderful :)

DebH said...

Nifty recipes for leftovers... now if I only had any. The side effect of visiting others for Christmas instead of hosting at home.

I will have to jot these down for when I do have such leftovers. They sound yummy.

nm8r67 at hotmail dot com

Karyn Good said...

I'm in the same boat as, Deb. I didn't host Christmas and have no leftovers. But the Baked Curried Turkey and Rice sounds delicious and incorporates some of my hubby's favorite things: chicken, curry and rice :D

The salad sounds yummy, too!

Hope you had a great Christmas.

connie said...

Great recipe Jana! Anything with cranberries in, on or simply nearby is a hit in this family.
For those of you without leftovers, if you desperately want to join us who, by now, are cursing all leftovers and all turkeys, get in touch with me. I can help you!
connie

Silver James said...

Wait? People actually have leftover turkey? LOL!

Sounds good. If I ever have some to spare, I'll give it a try!

My brain is running out of trickster moves on the spam trolls. I guess I'll be good. silverjames AT swbell DOT net

Kammie said...

That Baked Curried Turkey and Rice recipe sounds so good. I never did like curry, or so I thought, until a friend took me to a restaurant and ordered Curry Chicken for me. I loved it and have eaten many curry dishes since. I'm going to try this one. kammie2u at ameritech dot net