Friday, January 1, 2010

Turkey Cranberry Wreath...

Leftover turkey - what's not to love? I can never decide if the second day meal of turkey and all the trimmings is better than the first, or if the third day meal of hot turkey sandwiches (always toast the bread, cuts down on the sogginess) and oven-baked French fries slathered in gravy is the best. I have a wonderful recipe for Tex-Mex Turkey Casserole, and then there's this - my favorite Christmas-y leftover turkey recipe. I thought I would share this one with you and I'll give a favorite shortcut variation at the end. Needless to say, leftover turkey is coveted in my household - bags of it are frozen for meals in January and February.

Turkey Cranberry Wreath

2 pkgs crescent rolls (235g pkg)
1/2 c mayo
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 c turkey - chopped fine
1/2 c celery - chopped fine
1/2 c dried cranberries - chopped fine
1 c grated swiss cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 c walnuts - chopped fine

Separate crescent rolls into triangles (16). Arrange 8 in a circle on a
large baking sheet or stone - corners of wide ends should touch (points facing
out - it will look like a flower). Match the remaining 8 triangles wide end to
wide end of first 6 to cover the center of the circle (points facing
in).

Combine all the rest of the ingredients and scoop mixture onto the wide
ends of the dough, making a circle. Lift the pointy ends, inside and outside, up
and over the filling to create a wreath.

Using an lightly beaten eggwhite, brush the entire wreath, then bake at 350
to 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Makes 10 servings (a fabulous potluck dish)

Variation: Use filling in small, savory tart shells for individual servings
without all the work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget - only a two more days to get your name into the draw for a wonderful gift basket from The Chicks. We're celebrating our first anniversary and you could be the winner of our first contest. Please leave your e-mail address in your comment, using 'dots' and 'ats' to fool the e-mail trolls. Good luck :)

And Happy New Year - all the best for 2010!

15 comments:

Yunaleska said...

I've woken up a little earlier than I have been this holiday, and I read the title as....

Turkey Cranberry Wrath.

I fully expected a funny tale.

Janet said...

Sorry to disappoint, Yuna. Hope you had a joyous holiday - and all the best for 2010.

BTW - if you come back today, leave your e-mail address so you can get your name in for our first anniversary contest :)

Suse said...

Hi Janet, and the other Prairie Chicks. There looks to be a lot of interesting recipes floating around this week.

Because we have mostly raw veggies, we usually end up making a lot of stir fries with the leftover turkey. And if we still have some left over turkey and can't face another meal with it, we freeze it for another meal later in January.

I want to wish you all a Happy New Year, and congratulate you all on your one year anniversary.

sdoteastonatsaskteldotnet

Suse said...

Whoops, I made an error in my email address.

sdotbeastonatsaskteldotnet

Lu said...

yum - the wreath filling sounds great! I'm afraid I'm too much a visual person and I can't quite figure out the placement of the individual triangles, so I'd make the tartlets. Now, if only we had leftover turkey...

Happy New Year everyone!!

lulunau at myfairpoint dot net

Janet said...

Nice to see you, Suse - a very Happy New Year to you and yours!

And for what it's worth, I shudder at even the suggestion of stir fry. Not a big fan of that meal :)

Janet said...

Hey, Lu! I was going to post some pics of the placement of the triangles, but then wasn't sure on copyright stuff. If you google turkey cranberry wreath pictures, there's some great 'how to' pictures on other blogs. But the filling in the tart shells is very, very good (equally as good with left over chicken).

Happy New Year to you and your family :)

Yunaleska said...

Oh here's my email then :)

nayu(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

Whoohoo for the one year anniversary.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Janet,
The filling for this recipe sounds totally delicious, but I'm with Lu here. I think I'll try it with the tart shells, store bought of course.

Happy New Year!
Jana

Karyn Good said...

Ooh, sounds very yummy! I will definitely have to try this one. Maybe I can serve the tart shells version next time it's my turn to host my book club group.

Happy New Year!

Silver James said...

I bet this looks really cool when done. Another recipe to copy and put in my box of keepers!

Happy New Year, Chicks!

silverjames @ swbellDOTnet

Heh! My spam word is "taters". Yes, I'd like a little gravy to go with them. Or chocolate and coconut for candy! LOL

Janet said...

The tart shells are much easier - and I like to think less fattening, we are in the New Year and those resolutions (you know the ones) have to last at least until the end of the month :)

Karyn - book club - still waiting for the recipe for Grinch Martinis!! Hope your book girls enjoy the tarts (you should serve them when you're reading a slutty book - a tart for a tart :)

"Taters" - don't you just love word verification, Silver? And this recipe looks stunning when done - a great potluck dish that gets rave reviews.

Kammie said...

Yum! I'll have to try this one next time I have turkey.

Happy New Year, everyone!

kammie2u at ameritech dot net

Anita Mae Draper said...

I'll try this next year, Janet as we used the last of the turkey yesterday. Like others, I always have frozen tart shells on hand but I've never bought the crescent rolls. I might for a presentation supper, though. Thanks for the recipe.

Janet said...

Happy New Year to you, Kammie. Glad you stopped by!

You're welcome, Anita. As I was saying, the presentation this dish makes is spectacular. And you can always use leftover chicken :) Happy New Year to you!