Sunday, April 11, 2010

Julie Garwood to visit Prairie Chicks!

I am super excited to announce that Julie Garwood will be a guest blogger on Prairie Chicks on June 19!

I expect this will generate a lot of excitement so I offered Julie the option of answering questions ahead of time and posting the answers in the blog—that way site visitors will have the opportunity to submit their question even if they cannot get to the blog during that day. I will be collecting questions until April 23.

There was no bio on her website, so I checked out Wikipedia: 
Julie Garwood (born in 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri) is an American writer of over twenty-five romance novels in both the historical and suspense subgenres. Over thirty million copies of her books are in print, and she has had at least 15 New York Times Bestsellers. She has also begun writing a novel for young adults under the pseudonym of Emily Chase.

Her book For The Roses was adopted for television—Rose Hill (starring Jennifer Garner).

When will you have this opportunity again? Post your questions in the comments section of this posting before April 23!

7 comments:

Anne Germaine said...

I received two question suggestions by email so I thought I'd paraphrase those to get us started.

1. What challenges have you faced in writing more than one genre? Did your editors/agents discourage you from this? Do you have a preference for one of the genres?

2. How do you organize your various projects? What does your writing schedule look like?

j.leigh.bailey said...

While I enjoy her contemporary novels, I LOVE her historical ones--are there any plans to introduce more of the historicals?

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Julie,
What do you consider the most successful way to promote your books? Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a fan of her historical books. What I'm wondering is:

1. Do you have a favorite book out of all your books and do you have any favorite characters.

2. Where do you get your ideas from?

Jenn

Helena said...

I have a question that is probably just a variation on the first two that you have posted, Anne. However, here goes:

Do you write exclusively in one genre from start to finish, including the revisions that come back from your editor? Or do you work on more than one simultaneously? How do you guard against "cross-contamination"? Also how do you keep your focus?

I am keenly interested in how she approaches this because for several years I had been hopping from novel to short story to nonfiction to poetry in no particular order. I finally decided I should stick to longer fiction exclusively for a while, but occasionally hanker to dip into another genre. Just wonder if it can work, and how it would work.


Can't resist a comment on Julie's wonderful website (which I will probably do again when she's with us): I stayed and played in her writing corner longer than I have ever spent on any other author's website. It's so delightful!

Anna Small said...

Question for Julie -

How do you handle revisions and polishing before submitting the finished product? I have an awful time of rewriting to death! When is enough enough?!

connie said...

Hi

I have read all the historicals at least once and more often twice.

I want to know if she planned them as a series or wrote more as the idea struck her.

I like the humour and the lightness of the heroines and the strength of the lairds. The characters become real and I miss them when I get to the end of the book.

Will there be more in that series?
I'd like to know her working schedule too.