Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome Angela Breidenbach, Win An e-Cookbook

by Anita Mae Draper

I met Angela Breidenbach last Sept at the American Christian Fiction Writers conference when she was parading around in her Mrs. Montana International sash. I was hanging out with the writers from Seekerville and Angela gave us a mini-play-by-play about her Mrs. Montana experience. I don't remember the story but I do remember laughing so hard my cheeks hurt.

I also remember how great she looked. Yet I didn't realize until lately that her figure came (at least partly) at a price - colitis. So today, I'd like to introduce Angela and together we'll discover more about her and her e-Cookbook, Creative Cooking for Colitis.

Anita interviews Angela:

I have an extensive cookbook collection and yet this is my first e-cookbook. Where did you get the idea?

The idea for the cookbook came mid-January when I realized how many meals I'd built up in the six months prior. Making it an e-cookbook happened because I wanted it to be loaded with photography and that is so hard to get done in print. I just hate it when I can't see what a recipe is supposed to look like. I decided that could be something special from me to the reader.


Is Creative Cooking for Colitis only for those with digestive problems?

Not at all. It's especially created to help the families and friends of someone with colitis, IBD, UC, and any other digestive problem. Eating together loses so much joy with the limitations of the dietary needs. I'd lost hope that I'd ever have big joyful meals with my family and friends again. All of these recipes are friendly to anyone, simple to make, and elegant to set on your table. But I also included recipes that are helpful for celiac and weightloss. No one else in my family has any digestive aliments, but they all love these recipes :-)


The book is studded with photographic gems. Who took the pics?

I took all of them except one. My husband grabbed the camera and snapped away several shots of Jude, my grandson, and I making home made noodles for our chicken soup recipe. It was so much fun!


Do you have any stories about testing the recipes?

Oh yes! The funniest was to watch my family for 2 months have to wait to eat. They'd stand over the food. Within a short time I'd hear them saying, "Don't touch, mom has to take pictures first!" After the book was done, they were so in the habit that they all kept asking if they could eat yet.


Do you have any ideas for another cookbook?

Actually, I'm going to publish this in another version. We're going to have Creative Cooking: Simple Elegance. Same recipes with tips on how to simplify cooking. And both will be out on Kindle!

I have 2 more cook book ideas after that. Both will fall in the Creative Cooking brand :-)


What's your current project?

I'm switching to fiction now. I'm starting on a young adult story for teens. I do believe my miniature horse may make an appearance in that story as may a few new recipes ;-)


Do you have a question for our readers?

Great! Would you all tell me what kind of recipes you'd love to see in a Creative Cooking series?

Would you consider tweeting, facebooking, or goodreads about this cookbook? Especially if you try and like the Spanish Tortilla recipe posted below?

Thank you so much, Anita, for having me. If anyone would like to purchase their own copy, here's the sales link:
http://www.mygemofwisdom.com/products-page/books/creative-cooking-for-colitis-e-cookbook/

Creative Cooking for Colitis: Beautiful cook book with simple to simply elaborate recipes sure to thrill you and your family. 25 Tips and Recipes on how to start living and eating confidently again! Full color photos for every recipe. Insider tips on cooking, eating with families, colitis diet, and shopping. Lovely recipes for elegant parties and holiday treats.


Angela is giving away one copy PDF download of Creative Cooking for Colitis to one person who leaves a comment.

And here's a sample recipe from Angela's e-Cookbook:


Spanish Tortilla+*  
by Angela Breidenbach, Creative Cooking 4/2/2010

A tasty, mild egg and potato omelet some might call a frittata. There’s no flour. This is not bread like Mexican tortillas. I learned this traditional Spanish tapas recipe from Maite’ Pressler when I lived in Spain. Tapas are small snacks served in pubs. It’s modified for simplicity and easy digestion. Bonus: add ingredients as you build your food list. The trick is two eggs for every potato in case you want to expand the recipe size. Important: Standard potato—the size of a light bulb for two eggs.

Serves 8 as tapas, 4 as the main entrée.

2 large potatoes, washed, peeled, & bite-size
4 eggs or the equivalent in egg substitute
1 tsp. water
½ tsp. salt
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped Garlic
¼ Cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons Sun-dried tomatoes, julienne
4-5 large mushrooms, sliced
Chives to taste
4 thinly cut slices of ham
1 thinly sliced fresh tomato
1 cup grated medium cheddar*

Additional sharp cheddar, grated for garnish

In heavy frying pan coated with olive oil, sauté potatoes over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. If you are able to tolerate onion, cook with potatoes. Lower heat to low and cover. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until soft. Test for doneness. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees and begin eggs.

Whisk all eggs, salt, and water. (The water fluffs the eggs when cooking.) Oil or spray a round pie glass-baking dish. I prefer not to use non-stick or dark pans to avoid overdone edges and tough bottom. The traditional round shape doesn’t matter as much as the depth. This recipe will puff. I make this for large family gatherings of 10-12. Then I use my largest glass-baking pan and multiply by three.

Add the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic to the potatoes and sauté for one minute. Pour vegetable mixture into the glass-baking dish. Pour the whisked eggs over the vegetables. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The goal is to set the eggs hard without turning them overly brown. If the eggs set well on the bottom, but still too much liquid on top, turn on broiler 5 min. to finish.

Top tortilla with cheese. Spread ham to cover the round tortilla, and place sliced tomatoes around the top. Return to oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes to heat the toppers and melt the cheese. Sprinkle with chives for garnish.

Serve warm or cold. We eat it fresh out of the oven for a dinner and then eat it cold the next day for lunch or breakfast.

* Insider Tip: Medium cheddar is important for flavor and melting ability. Sharp is fantastic, but doesn’t melt well. Mild cheddar is too bland when paired with potato and egg. So put the sharp on last for decorative visual appeal as an option for more flavor.
Optional additions as you add foods to your diet. Each addition makes this dish more complex and more nutritional. But the colors make it beautiful and a highly sought after meal.
Time Saver Tip: Microwaved potatoes speed up this recipe by almost half the preparation time. Microwave washed potatoes the night before. Then it’s easy to slip off the skin and chunk into bite-sized cubes. Saves at least 20-30 minutes of prep time, possibly more. Still sauté in the olive oil for a few minutes for the flavor and the oil is an important part of the recipe.

Thanks for sharing with us today, Angela.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Angela Breidenbach is Mrs. Montana International 2009, author of Creative Cooking for Colitis, works with Hope’s Promise Orphan Ministries, the American Heart Association, and the Jadyn Fred Foundation. Angela also teaches online classes and coaches one-on-one in courageous confidence, personal growth, and powerful living. She’s certified in mentor/peer counseling as a Stephen Minister and Assisting Minister. She serves as the American Christian Fiction Writer's Publicity Officer and is a multi-award winning inspirational speaker and author. Not only did she walk the hard line of deciding to donate her mom's brain, but she is also on the brain donation list at the Brain Bank-Harvard McLean Hospital. She is married, has a combined family of six grown children, one grandson.

You can find Angela Breidenbach online:
http://www.mygemofwisdom.com/
http://www.angelabreidenbach.com/
http://godusesbrokenvessels.blogspot.com/
http://colitiscooking.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/AngBreidenbach
http://www.facebook.com/AngelaBreidenbach
http://writingbyfaith.blogspot.com/ every Wednesdays.

14 comments:

DebH said...

oh wow... i'm going to have to try the recipe this weekend for me and hubby. it sounds deeee-lish!

neither of us have digestive issues, but i'm wanting to eat more healthy because i've the metabolism of a sloth and wish to get back down to a healthy weight. plus, i've a little 6 month old Nathaniel(we call him Guppy - DH is the big fish) - and i want to start him off with good eating habits from the start.
Creative Cooking on a (really) limited budget is a subject i'd be curious to read about - or creative cooking from a basic home garden would be nifty to see as well. of course gardens might be different based on geography as well.

the idea is so cool. i do have a niece with Crohn's though... perhaps i'll get a copy of the cookbook for her for her high-school graduation gift. she's like me...she likes good food and eating with family.

thanks for visiting! and thanks for taking the time to create a cookbook like this too.

Anita Mae Draper said...

Good ideas, Deb.

Angie, I'm wondering about the symbols in the title for the posted recipe, Spanish Tortilla?

Thanks for making Wild Card Friday special.

Anita.

Angela Breidenbach said...

Hi Deb H,
I just love your nickname for your son. We call my grandson Dude, lol. He also gets called bug and as I'm sure you are finding out, you just can't stop kissing those little guys :-)

I love your ideas. I can definitely put a Creative Cooking: On a Limited Budget on my to-do list! The gardening one is pretty cool too, though I have no green thumb, my dad does. Hmm. That one's on my thinking list :-)

Thank you for thinking of your niece. I believe she would love it. Her family can use the recipes and she can have some simple ones for college.

May your table be full of joy,
Angie

Angela Breidenbach said...

Hi Anita,
The symbols tell which recipes are for celiacs and weight loss. The + symbol means it's a good recipe for someone with celiac to try and the * symbol means it's good for weight loss, but you have to follow the portion size :-) That was my biggest break through when doing Weight Watchers, paying attention to my portion size.
Thanks for asking and I hope your meals are full of laughter,
Angie

patti said...

Oh, I LOVE Angie and do have some minor issues that flare up from time to time.

Cool cookbook!

Angela Breidenbach said...

Hi Patti,
You so made my day! Thank you for loving me. I love you too. I hope that this cookbook opens up the happy joy around everyone's table like that, filling it with love!

I really hope the tips will help you too. Those flare ups are not fun and can be really depressing.

Much appreciation,
Angie

Karyn Good said...

Hi Angela and welcome to the Prairies. I'm always up for talking about food :)

I'm actually trying to reduce the amount of wheat in my diet, for no other reason than I was consuming too much bread, pasta, etc. The bonus is I actually feel better.

The Spanish Tortilla recipe look wonderful and I'll definitely be attempting it. BTW: I love recipes books with tons of photos. I need that visual reference!

Angela Breidenbach said...

Hi Karyn,
I hope you love the Spanish Tortilla. I have quite a few wheatless recipes in the book, however, there are still some. Like my grandma's Orange Roll recipe. That's one I can't stay away from, lol. But there are a ton of others with either no wheat or wheat-free options such as switching out the pasta for a different kind. I'm such a bread and pasta lover that I lost weight when I started eating less of them. I have to have a little to keep me balanced, but I think the less simple carbs we all eat, the better we're going to feel and function!
Thanks :-)
Angie

Helena said...

Almost missed this great post. Was on the go all day. But what a special treat. Thank you, Angela, for being here today, and Anita, of course, for making the arrangement and asking such good questions!

I don't have digestive problems, but I do have too great a love for pastas and breads. I am very fond of potatoes, prepared every which way, so this is a recipe I would try for sure. For myself, I might try Tex Mex, the grated mix of cheeses with a dash of jalapeno. (it's another addiction of mine, and I have to religiously record the Weight Watcher points so as not to overdo it.)

Would love to win your e-cookbook. I have a whole cupboard full of cookbooks, but this one wouldn't take up any shelf space!

Gwen Stewart said...

Angela,

Thank you for this great information and the lovely recipes. I'm a fellow traveler on the IBD road. My appetite falters so badly--it's pathetic. I'd just as soon give up eating altogether. I think I need some yummy new ideas to kick start it!

Best wishes and God bless you on your writing journey. Be well!

mara said...

Thanks for the Tortilla recipe! I need to check out the book. I'm brushing up on my Spanish cooking, studying Spanish too on Babbel.com (http://www.babbel.com). I find it rewarding to learn the cuisine and language in tandem...

Angela Breidenbach said...

Hi Helena, Mara, and Gwen!
So glad you all stopped by to have some fun with us and these recipes.
Another fun idea might be to add green chilis to the Spanish Tortilla. My favorite has always been extra cheese and adding some sun dried tomatoes before baking. Just love that stronger taste :-)
Thank you,
Angie

Anita Mae Draper said...

I've just posted the announcement for Angie's winner but I'll tell you here, too. It's...

Gwen.

Congrats, Gwen. I'll send your email address to Angie so she can get that PDF copy off to you.

Thanks again to everyone who stopped in to visit.

bbremnes said...

wonderful that you will note the celiac suggestions......such a need now for so many....congrats on your cookbook :)