Saturday, May 1, 2010

Warm Welcome to Ashlynn Pearce

We're happy to extend a warm welcome to today's guest blogger, Ashlynn Pearce. Ashlynn is celebrating the release of her debut novel, Rough Edges.

When I was 14 years old, my grandma gave me my first romance novel, SWEET,SAVAGE, LOVE by Rosemary Rogers. From that moment on I was hooked. I’ve inhaled thousands of romance novels since then. I’ve read everything from historicals to paranormal to erotic. But I never wrote anything until 1999.

I had an amazing and vivid dream that wouldn’t leave me alone, so I wrote it. By hand. It was about a 16th century Scottish laird who has his heart captured by a modern day American woman. It was awful! LoL But I loved my characters. While I struggled getting that out, more and more characters bombarded my imagination. So I started jotting down character profiles and snippets here and there of scenes.

In 2006, I finally got serious. I joined RWA and my local chapter RWI. It was one of those ah-ha moments. I finally met people who got me when I said my characters talked to me. I wasn’t insane after all! Okay, that may be pushing it a bit, but sanity is over-rated anyway. Hehe My first critique was terrifying, but I learned so much. I love my RWI girls and I absorbed all their advice like a sponge. I wanted to learn so badly. I wanted to be published so badly. And luckily they were there pushing me along.

One early summer day, I was working on my second novel when I hit a wall. A big one. So in an effort to spur my muse, I started digging through all my old character notebooks I had held onto for all those years. That’s when I ran across Jake. All I had on him was a short character bio, his heroine’s short bio and one small scene.

It wouldn’t let me go.

So I called my good friend Margaret and told her about my wall and about Jake. She said “Write his story.” So I did.

ROUGH EDGES poured out of me in 2 months. Two weeks later I had edited it, and shipped it out. Up until this story, I had never written erotic, nor had I planned on writing erotic. His story just came out that way. It fits him and his story. Ellora’s Cave bought it in March and 2 months later, it’s published.

It’s been a whirlwind ride for me. Everything happened so fast!

Jake Korte is emotionally broken. Angry. Hurt. Worthless. Fearing that he will become the abuser his father was, the last thing he needs is a woman in his life. He feels like a virtual time bomb just waiting for the internal explosion. So when tiny Rebecca Saylor “chats” her way into his life and then crawls under his skin, panic descends. He can’t seem to stay away, but is terrified to be with her.

After surviving an abusive marriage, Becca isn’t looking for love, only safety. But through her research for her column “Chat Addiction”, she meets Jake who is anything but safe. He’s the one man who can make her feel alive again. But can she overcome her own fears to claw her way into the heart of a man so fractured?


Here is an excerpt from ROUGH EDGES:
Rebecca Saylor’s hands were shaking as she sat down at her computer. She put her elbows on the desk and dropped her head into her hands. Tears clogged her throat and fell from her eyes. Shoving at her hair, she winced when she accidently brushed her cheek. She hadn’t looked in the mirror yet but she knew there had to be a very large bruise on her face. It matched the bruises that marred both arms, she was sure. She picked up her drink, mostly whiskey, and took a sip. She needed the burn. Anything to steady her nerves.

She glanced around her apartment. The place was a disaster. A chair was turned over, along with her coffee table. Pictures lay in broken glass on the floor and she shuddered as she glanced at the couch. The only thing that had saved her from her ex-husband, Nick, had been a decorative marble ball that had been sitting on the end table. Ironic that it was something he had bought, and something she thought totally worthless. Right now the man was at the hospital with the police. She didn’t know how he fared but, frankly, she didn’t give a damn.

She took a large swallow of her drink and closed her eyes, forcing herself to calm. But it wasn’t working. After talking to the cops, the only thing she wanted to do was come home and talk to Jake. She pushed a small button and stared at her computer screen as it booted up.

This is crazy.

All she wanted was Jake…a man she only knew online.

A man who was supposed to be a job assignment.

A man who, for all intents and purposes, was a figment of her imagination. She took a deep breath and typed into her IM.


You can find me at www.AshlynnPearce.com, on Facebook: Ashlynn Pearce, and Twitter: Ashlynn_Pearce.

You can find Rough Edges here.

I love hearing from peeps! So drop me a line!

21 comments:

Paula R said...

Hey Ashlynn, congratulations on the release of Rough Edges. The trip is like a whirlwind, huh? You wrote a story in two months. Girl, I am so jealous. I couldn't imagine being where you are right now. Jake sounds like a great character, and Becca sounds wonderful as well; a take charge kind of woman.

I hope you have fun on the Prairie today. I will be back later to see how things are going.

Is RE available in paperback form too?

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Karyn Good said...

Hey there Prairie readers! Unfortunately, Ashlynn is recovering from an illness and may not be available to comment today. So along with our congratulations on the release of her debut novel we'll also extend our wishes for a speedy recovery.

Don't let that stop you from leaving a comment! I'm here to talk :D

Karyn Good said...

Hi Paula. Rough Edges looks like a great read doesn't it? Steamy! For anyone interested in reading a longer excerpt just follow the link in Ashlynn's post!

I don't believe Rough Edges is available in paperback at this point in time.

Silver James said...

Karyn, I may be wrong, but I believe ROUGH EDGES is available in eBook only, from Ellora's Cave.

Our thoughts and prayers are going out to Ash and her family for a very speedy recovery!

Helena said...

I want to join the rest in welcoming Ashlynn (what a pretty name!) to the Prairie, and wishing her a speedy recovery.

I have a busy day myself away from home, but I have already been enticed by the snippets I've seen to pursue this story further. I also love exploring the websites and blogs of our guest bloggers, so you know what I will be doing on the rainy day that's in the forecast for tomorrow!

connie said...

Hello Ashlynn,

I really enjoyed your blog and it inspired me to carry on! I'm glad you had such a quick and happy response! Two months - wow!

I'm glad you decided to join us on the prairies. We chicks are getting wet, mouldy and unhappy with the weather. It is pathetic verging on mean by the weatherman! Bet you are as anxious for spring as we are. I wonder if you garden in the garden or plant ideas and make them grow into good reads.

However, when a girl can't get into the garden for snow drifts and puddles, what a gift from you to cheer us. I am looking forward to a good read - and the peek at Rough Edges says forget eveything else - open the book and settle in for that good read!

I am sorry to know that you are in the hospital. Remember: there are only two things to do in bed - and being sick isn't one of them!

Best wishes
connie

Jana Richards said...

Hi Ashlynn,
Welcome to the Prairies! Congratulations on the release of your book. And let me also extend my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I'm fascinated by the fact that you had never written erotic before. Judging by the short length of time (2 months? Wow!) it took you to write this novel, the transition wasn't difficult for you. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about writing erotic romance? I hope you get a chance to answer when you're feeling better.

Jana

Karyn Good said...

Good morning, Silver. Thanks for clarifying!

Anyone wishing to find out more about Rough Edges can go here.

Have a great Saturday!

Paula R said...

Thanks Karyn. I hope Ashlynn feels better soon. RE does look like a really great book. Hmm...I really need to start getting into e-books, but it is soooo hard.

I feel like I am in school when I read stories/books on the computer, and I miss the feel and smell of a book in my hand. Crazy, I know, but that's just the way it is.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Anita Mae Draper said...

...my first romance novel, SWEET,SAVAGE, LOVE by Rosemary Rogers. From that moment on I was hooked. I’ve inhaled thousands of romance novels since then.
Me too!

I understand you're under the weather, Ashlynn - well here on the prairies, the low cloud level is pushing down on all of us. Very oppressive.

You're in my prayers today. Keep your spirits up.

And congrats on your book.

Anita.

magolla said...

Hi All!
I'm the Margaret in Ash's story, and stubborn little minx that she is, I had to keep repeating, "Write his story--puke it out." And "Don't let anyone read it until you're done." I knew it was one of those stories that didn't need the dilution of a crit UNTIL it was ready. And if I remember correctly she never did have it critiqued. :-) Sometimes you just have to write from the gut.

Heather said...

HI Ashlynn, it's great to meet you. I enjoy each writer's story of how they got where they are. Congratulations on Rough Edges.

Joanne Brothwell said...

Ashlynn,
Thanks for the great post. It's always so inspiring to read stories like yours. And I totally get the characters talking in your head! Mine won't shut up!

You novel sounds so amazing. I look forward to reading it!

Thank you for hanging with the chicks!

Karyn Good said...

Hi Paula. Thanks for stopping back in again and wishing Ash well. I hear you about the ambience of reading off the computer. We need to get ourselves one of the ereaders! I think that would make all the difference.

Enjoy your weekend!

Karyn Good said...

Welcome to the Prairies, Margaret. Such solid advice and look what it got Ash - a published ebook! It means so much to have a good friend who gives great advice. Please pass on our well wishes to Ash for a speedy recovery.

There are times when it pays to go with the flow of thought!

Karyn Good said...

Thanks for dropping by Heather. Always lovely to have you. It's inspiring isn't it? to hear success stories!

Karyn Good said...

Thanks to my fellow chicks for stopping by. It's wet and dreary on the Prairies today and I, for one, warmed up quite nicely after seeing the cover art and reading the excerpt :D

Happy writing!

Paula R said...

Karyn, I don't know about those e-readers either. Sorry it is so wet where you are. The weather was beautiful here. 80s all day, now it's cold.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Tory Richards said...

OMG!!! For a minute there I thought I was reading something I'd written. Sweet Savage Love was the first romance novel I read, too! Only I was around 18, I think. I recall how explicit that book was and bet if your grandmother had known what went on between Ginny and Steve and their countless other lovers they had, she'd never have given it to you:) For the time it was pretty erotic!

Ashlynn Pearce said...

I'm finally home from the hospital and so sorry I couldn't comment to all the post. The short is I had 2 strokes, with no prior health issues, also only 37.

Thanks to Karyn for having me and filling in when I coundn't. I love reading what everyone had to say.

Jana Richards said...

Ashlynn, I'm so sorry to hear about your serious health issues. You're way too young! Please look after yourself.

We enjoyed having you with us. Hopefully next time you'll have the opportunity to join in the conversation.

All the best,
Jana Richards