Thursday, September 16, 2010

Indianapolis 2010 Here I Come

Hopefully, if all went well, I flew out of Regina at 6 am today (Thurs) and will arrive in Indianapolis this afternoon. I’m in Indy for the 2010 American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) conference. This will be my 3rd time at this conference and my first visit to Indiana. I’m very excited to see everyone again.

A major disappointment is that I didn’t get my manuscript (ms) emailed to the agent and editor who requested them at last year’s conference in Denver. However, I’ve asked for these 2 people as my first choices so at the very least, I’ll be able to fill them in on what’s happening with the ms and see if they’re still interested. (Oh, please.)

A few weeks ago, here at Prairie Chicks, I posted about the journey of this wip. The request to add 20,000 words to Emma’s Outlaw took me until Feb 2010. I then sent it to my Inky sisters (Inkwell Inspirations blog) who hacked it to pieces (sniffle) because it lacked content, conflict and character. (Or something along those lines.) That started the big rewrite. I didn’t realize how much of a rewrite until I actually began to edit. Due to the new character and spiritual arcs, conflict and story line, I’m cutting complete chapters out and starting fresh.

At the time of this post, I have 80 out of the required 90,000 words ready to go. I’m almost finished. And I have to admit, this version is far superior to what I originally pitched last year.

My goals for this conference are to:

- renew acquaintances with friends and eFriends

- meet new people in the industry

- Meet with the same agent

- Meet with the same editor

- Attend as many workshops as I can unless I’m needed elsewhere


This year, my volunteer duties include:

- work the registration desk

- help out in the book store

- report on the Bethany House Info session for ACFW’s Afictionado newsletter


I'm very excited to start as I'll be attending James Scott Bell's workshop starting at 8 tomorrow morning.

That will be followed by an appt for professional photographs. (Yikes!)

I'll try to check in for comments as soon as I check into my hotel room and sign up for internet service today, though .


4 comments:

Karyn Good said...

I know you've been working exceptionally hard on Emma's Outlaw and it sounds like you've made great progress.

I know you'll have no problem meeting your goals.

Have fun and can't wait to hear all about it!

connie said...

Glad to hear you are off to a conference to be excited about. Louisville Kentucky isn't far away and it is one of my favourite places on earth.

Have fun at the bookstore, but remember there are baggage limits on airplains. Not more than 25 books! If you really do get carried away, look into UPS. It cost me less to send the kids Christmas gifts that way from Surrey than by plane over limit baggage

What problems with ms? You will charm and convince them I know for certain. Tell them to be prepared to hustle their bums as I am very anxious to read it

Have a wonderful time

connie

Jana Richards said...

Hi Anita,
Ohh, I can hardly wait to see your new professional picture!

It's great that you've been able to go to two conferences this year. I know I always find conferences inspiring and motivating.

Good luck with your appointments with your editor and agent.

Jana

Anita Mae Draper said...

Thank you, ladies.

I've just posted some pics to my personal blog. Not many people ones yet but it'll show you where I'm at.

Thanks for your support and vote of confidence. :)

Anita.