Friday, October 1, 2010

All Good Things...

Yes, as the saying goes, we must come to an end! With much discussion the Chicks have decided to close down The Prairies. This was not an easy decision and one that makes me very sad. But it was a decision that needed to be made.

Many of us are venturing out with our own blogs (some new, others already established). And we’re all busy writing. Add to that the incredible busy lives we all lead with jobs and families something had to give. Unfortunately, it is the blog.

But we’re not going to just hang a “Closed” sign on the front door immediately. Over the next month you’ll be hearing from each of us (starting on Monday with Helena). The first two weeks of October will be used to discuss what this blog meant to us, what we gained from our contributions and how we’ve grown as writers. The last two weeks will be to share our future goals, our continuing journey in our writing careers, and to let you all know where you can find our individual blogs and websites. Then, as of October 29th, The Prairies will be silent.

We plan on leaving the blog active – almost two years of writerly articles and fantastic guest posts are archived here. We hope that you’ll come back often and use our site as a writing resource. The labels are very helpful in finding exactly what you need in your writing development and the ‘search’ button at the top can also be of assistance when you’re looking for a specific article.

I’ll take this time to thank all of our readers and our guest bloggers for making Prairie Chicks Write Romance a success. We look forward to seeing you on The Prairies for another month as we wrap up this endeavor.

And, to my fellow Chicks, it has been a pleasure working with you. I’m looking forward to reading your posts on what the blog has meant to you and what the future holds for you.

Janet

19 comments:

Lu said...

*sniff*
A regular lurker and occasional commenter is very sad right now.

Linda Ford said...

So sorry to hear you are closing this blog. I consider it one of my best resources.

Linda Ford

Liz Fichera said...

Sad. But thank you for so many great, helpful posts. I've enjoyed everyone's insights and humor. :-)

Best of luck to everyone!

Janet said...

Hey, Lu - I know, very sad. So glad you lurked and commented occasionally :)

Janet said...

Thank you for the compliment on the blog, Linda. We are very proud of the enormous number of writing articles we were able to put forth. So glad that you found them helpful. We hope you continue to use The Prairies as a writing resource - all the articles will still be available.

Janet said...

Thank you, Liz. We certainly had fun bringing you writing articles in our own unique ways. Glad you found them helpful :)

Vince said...

No!

No! No!

No! No! No!

I’m in denial!

Where’s the link to your post on the stages of grief?

Say it isn't so. :(

Vince

Janet said...

Sorry, Vince - it is so. Now we have left the door open to revisit The Prairies in the future, so you might see all or some of us back here in the future. All I know is it takes a great deal of time and effort to put something like this together - I think we all need a break from it at this time.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Janet,
Like you said, all good things must come to an end. It's been so much fun blogging with everyone here and getting feedback from readers. If this was my only job I'd happily keep blogging well into my dotage. But like the other Chicks, I've got plenty on my plate.

Now that I've caught the blogging bug, I don't plan to give it up. But more on that in future blogs.

Jana

Janet said...

I, too, would blog happily if that was the only thing I had to do, Jana! It's been great.

Looking forward to your future blogging plans - you know I'll be there reading along :)

Penny Rader said...

I'm sad you're closing the blog. You have so many wonderful posts-- I refer to your blog quite often. Will you post links to the individual blogs so we can keep up with all of you? Pretty please?

Anita Mae Draper said...

As one of the Chicks, I'm sorry to see the blog set aside, but I'm one of the guilty ones who hasn't been participating as much as I could have been. Instead, I've been in my cave trying to finish this manuscript. Yes, I have another group blog and my personal blog, but I've been neglecting them as well. :(

It came down to priorities... do I want to be an author or a blogger? At this stage in my writing career, I need to put my writing first because every minute I'm writing a blogpost is one minute I could've been writing my story.

Thank you Janet for posting this for the Chicks.

And thank you everyone who's stepped forward to share your thoughts with us. Hopefully you'll check out our upcoming posts where we'll give you all the links to our other hideouts.

Anita Mae.

Heather said...

I'm sorry to read about your leaving. I have learned lots reading your posts. I understand that there is only so many hours in a day, and the posts that are here must have taken much time to prepare. Thanks for sharing here. I have enjoyed and learned so much.

DebH said...

Bummer. The Prairies close on my birthday *heavy sigh*. I AM happy to know that you'll leave links active for all the wealth of information that has been posted though.

As I see it, the Chicks have grown and are ready for the next phase to impending/established Authorhood.

Thanks for the postings Chicks!!!!

Janet said...

Hi, Penny! Thank you for your kind words. And remember that all the articles will be available even after we've 'left the building'!

As to our future plans, individually, as Anita said we'll be posting information on that in the next couple of weeks. BTW - you can also check out the left hand sidebar where the individual blogs of some of the Chicks are listed (with hotlinks).

Janet said...

It's hard, Anita, to make that decision to be a writer and give it all you've got. But once you do, you don't want anything getting in the way of your goals! I commend you for your diligence and drive when it comes to your writing. And I have my fingers crossed for you on this manuscript!

Janet said...

Thank you, Heather! The posts have been labor intensive and I think that really burned us out (writing a 700 - 1000 word writing article once every 2 weeks is extremely hard). Perhaps, if we had decided to go with a more personal type blog, we wouldn't be so exhausted. But, the posts we wrote have been amazing - and we're so glad you enjoyed them.

Janet said...

As I see it, the Chicks have grown and are ready for the next phase to impending/established Authorhood.

Thanks for this, Deb! And thanks for being a reader here on The Prairies :)

Donna Alward said...

I will admit this makes me so SAD! It's a truly great blog and you guys did great things with it.

I was thrilled to be here at the beginning. You can bet I'll be here to say goodbye, too.

And giving my very best wishes to the Chicks in their writing endeavours. :-)