Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Keep on Writing

So this is it. I’m signing off. Today is officially my last Prairie Chicks posting. I will miss it for sure (well, maybe not as much as I think as I’m always writing last minute). Fine then, I won’t miss the pressure. I won’t miss that feeling of ‘homework!’ What I will miss are the wonderful posts from my colleagues and the enlightening, funny and giggle-worthy comments from our readers. I think we had fun...well, I had fun anyway and will no doubt enjoy reading the posts I missed over the past two years when I have a free minute or am blocked or when I need information on a particular topic.

What's in my plans for the future? I don’t have amazing pitches to launch or dreaded query letters to write. I don’t have any editors banging down my door either though—I have nothing ready to show them anyway. You’ll know from my posts that my focus is on writing—the tools, techniques, tips, and talents (that alliteration was completely by chance) that I’ll need to be successful. My goals are modest...write because I enjoy it and write the best that I can. Therefore ‘successful’ to me would be to complete a novel length story that I am both interested in and proud of. Not a bad goal...but not an easy one either. Obviously I want to sell it, but I have to write it before I worry about that, don't I?

While getting my life back into order will be my primary focus over the next few months (renovations, family obligations and a new job can really reek havoc on a household), my life would not be complete without my writing. As always, I have a couple plots floating around in my mind, several characters are getting embroiled in a scheme even as I write this (hmmm...I guess I am a good multitasker). Even if nothing goes down on paper, know that I am writing in my mind with the intention of eventually getting it down on paper sometime. Sometime soon, I hope. The other members of the SK Romance Writers will keep reminding me to set a writing schedule and stick to it. And I'll thank them for it. So does my laptop.

Over the past few months I have written a few posts about creativity (or the lack thereof) and as you might expect, I’ll be working on finding that as well. This summer a fellow writer recommended reading The Artist’s Way and I had every intention of doing it, but my work schedule and the summer weather interfered with the weekly writer’s date and I am simply not a morning person so had a lot of difficulty with the required Morning Pages. I don’t expect mornings will be any easier now that we have to wake up to darkness, but I’ll find a way to make it work.

Blogging has been an interesting experience and I'm grateful for it. I will sign off with one final thought to the readers of blogland...THANK YOU!!

5 comments:

Janet said...

It has been wonderful having you join us on your journey, Anne - and I look forward to meeting you in person one day.

I love that you've included your goal of finishing a novel and referring to as it as 'successful'. I think we all need to determine what our definition of success is - and not let the overwhelming aspects of this career get in the way. Easier said than done!

Good luck with your goal - and I hope all those characters in your head find their way onto paper. Happy writing :)

Anita Mae Draper said...

You're right. I consider writing as my work. And that leaves blogging under the homework category. I think part of that has to do with my family. When I say I'm going to work, they assume writing. When they find out I've been blogging, they roll their eyes. LOL

I'll miss you on the blog, but my consolation is that I'll see you at the SRW meetings. And the spring retreat. It may be months away, but it's something to plan for, eh?

Oh, and don't forget BIAW in January. Will you be joining us for that?

Anita.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Anne,
I hope to get to meet you in person someday too, perhaps next year at the spring retreat. Thank you for blogging with us and giving us your unique perspective on this writing life.

Jana

Karyn Good said...

Thanks for being my Wednesday blogging partner! You'll get the novel written. You've got such great ideas and I've no doubt you'll find your groove.

Thank goodness for SRW and coffee shop meetings!

Stephanie said...

Hi Anne,

I love that - "complete a novel length story that I am both interested in and proud of"

I think that is something all writers should aspire to. Best of luck with your future writing!