Friday, October 8, 2010

Why I Like Blogging

Despite the solitary nature of writing, a person doesn't always have to feel alone while doing it. That is what I have found by blogging, especially by participating in a blog run by a group of writers.

There are others out there. People with similar challenges. People with challenges you haven't even thought of yet. People with challenges you have already overcome. The special thing about the online community of writers is the clearly visible support system. How willing people are to lend a hand.

Where I grew up, Autumn was the only time of year people locked their doors. Why? Because if you didn't, you would come home from the grocery store to find your porch filled with boxes of tomatoes and cucumbers, zucchinis big enough to carve like pumpkins and big paper bags piled to the top with crab apples.

This is the sort of community I have sensed while performing my brief stint blogging with the Chicks. There is no other way to describe the feeling this blog has given me. It is a blog writers can come to for that feeling of home. A place they can let their guard down.

How has blogging for the Chicks helped me as a writer? It has allowed me to open up. As a somewhat shy individual, I've been given the opportunity to share a part of myself I've kept from most people on the three dimensional plane. For that, I'm unendingly thankful.

In the words of Canada's sweetheart, Red Green, "We're all in this together."

4 comments:

Anne Germaine said...

Gotta love Red Green!

I have to agree with you--one of the things I'll miss the most from blogging is the online community. People (some I know and some I don't) who take the time to provide encouragement, to share their stories and pains, and to act as a sounding board for ideas.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to be there for me!

Jana Richards said...

Hi Stephanie,
It was great to meet you at the fall retreat on the three dimensional plane! Hopefully we'll meet again the next time I'm in Sask.

I have to admit I enjoyed the feedback and support I received from blogging as well. I'm eager to explore other ways to make connections online, such as Twitter and Facebook. As you said, writing is such a solitary pursuit that it's nice to know, when you throw your words out in cyberspace, that someone actually reads them and understands.

Best wishes,
Jana

Helena said...

Thank you, Stephanie, for being part of the community you describe.

The neat thing about the Chicks has been the diversity of the group -- age differential, genre of writing, level of accomplishment, etc. So we were a collective of young and older, genres from historical, suspense, inspirational, and contemporary romance to fantasy and paranormal (plus the so-far undefined genres that are percolating from our keyboards) -- and we had some with publishing credits and all the rest of us with aspirations! And all the perspectives were vital and effective.

It has been a support group that I am convinced will remain in some form, because you don't make those connections and let them wither away because a blog site becomes inactive! As Jian Ghomeshi says at the end of each day's segment of Q: "To be continued."

Karyn Good said...

It's been a joy connecting with others here on The Chicks. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for the encouragement and support. Thanks for sharing along side the rest of us. It's been a fabulous experience.

Just so you know, I'm totally stealing the line about locking doors this time of year. LOL.